by Gail Brightbill

May 7, 1996


Barbara Zdravecky, President/CEO of Planned Parenthood of Southwest Florida, stated in her December 1995 letter to the editor support for the partial-birth abortion (intact dilation and evacuation). Abortionist Martin Haskell described this procedure at a National Abortion Federation seminar.

The "surgeon used his fingers to deliver the lower extremity (legs), then the torso, then the shoulders, and then the upper extremities. With only the head remaining inside the mother...the surgeon then takes a pair of scissors...He carefully advances the tip...until he feels it contact into the base of the skull." After enlarging the opening, the surgeon inserts a "suction catheter into this hole and evacuates the skull contents (sucks out the baby's brains.)"

Ms. Zdravecky defends this procedure saying it is "rare." She cites Coreen Costello to support her position. Mrs. Costello, who testified before Congress, faced terrible, tragic problems during her pregnancy: however, her life was not in danger, nor did she undergo the partial-birth abortion. Haskell told American Medical News that, "probably 20 percent are for genetic reasons. And the other 80 percent are purely elective."

The late abortionist, James McMahon, who is credited with developing the partial-birth abortion, supplied data to the House Constitution Subcommittee in June 1995 stating, "depression" was the largest single "maternal indication" for non-elective abortions.

In defending this inhumane procedure, Ms. Zdravecky leaves out a very important person--the child in the womb. She says this ban is "political." Planned Parenthood is the largest single abortion provider in the world. Abortion brings millions of dollars to Planned Parenthood's coffers. Could Planned Parenthood be protecting their income?

Any reasonable, thinking human being will recognize the heinous destruction of the preborn child with this procedure, yet Bill Clinton vetoed this bill. All of the surgical abortion procedures are brutal acts against the unborn.

The Declaration of Independence states that, "We hold these truths to be self-evident...that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are LIFE, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" (emphasis added). We who have a voice must speak for the rights of the preborn.

Gail L. Brightbill
Voices for the Preborn

JavaMailClick Here to contact Gail Brightbill.
Please reference this article when emailing

Back to The Planned Parenthood Expose'
Back to the Titles Page
Back to the Home Page