Our Founding

Institutions of Academia

Old Glory

106 of the first 108 schools in America
were founded on the Christian Faith

1636, was founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts, from the donation of property and the library of Reverend John Harvard. It was established 16 years after the landing of the Pilgrims. The declared purpose of the college was "To train a literate clergy". The Rules and Precepts that were observed at Harvard, 9/26/1642 declared 8 statements. Among which:

Number 2) Let every Student be plainly instructed, and earnestly pressed to consider well, the main end of his life and studies is, to know God and Jesus Christ which is eternal life, John 17:3 and therefore to lay Christ in the bottom, as the only foundation of all sound knowledge and Learning. And seeing the Lord only giveth wisdom, Let every on seriously set himself by prayer in secret to seek it of him, Proverbs 2,3.

Number 3) Every one shall so exercise himself in reading the Scriptures twice a day, that he shall be ready to give such an account of his proficiency therein, both in Theoretical observations of Language and Logic, and in practical and spiritual truths, as his Tutor shall require, according to his ability; seeking the entrance of the word giveth light, it giveth understandings to the simple, Psalm 119:130.

Number 4) That they eschewing all profanation of God's name, Attributes, Word, Ordinances, and times of Worship, do study with good conscience carefully to retain God, and the love of his truth in their minds, else let them know, that God may give them up to strong delusions, and in the end to a reprobate mind, 2 Thes. 2:11, Romans 1:28.

Prior to the revolution, 10 of the 12 presidents of Harvard were ministers, and according to reliable calculations, over 50% of the 17th Century Harvard graduates became ministers.

1746, Originally called "The College of New Jersey", was founded in Princeton, New Jersey by the Presbyterian Church. Until 1902, every president of Princeton was a minister. The University's official motto was, "Under God's Power She Flourishes." The Reverend Jonathan Dickinson, who was its first president, said of Princeton, "Cursed be all learning that is contrary to the cross of Christ."

1701, was founded as the Collegiate School at Saybrook, Connecticut, by 10 Congregational ministers. It was moved to New Haven, Connecticut, and renamed for Elihu Yale, an American-born English merchant and governor of the East India Company. Yale donated books and good from his fortune to the college in the amount of $ 2,800. Its purpose was "To plant and under ye Divine blessing to propagate in this Wilderness, the blessed Reformed, Protestant Religion, in ye purity of its Order and Worship." The requirements for students included:

"All scholars shall live religious, godly and blameless lives according to the rules of God's Word, diligently reading the Holy Scriptures, the fountain of light and truth; and constantly attend upon all the duties of religion, both in public and secret. Seeing God is the giver of all wisdom, every scholar, besides private or secret prayer, where all we are bound to ask wisdom shall be present morning and evening at public prayer in the hall at the accustomed hour."

The primary goal, as outlined by the founders, stated, "Every student shall consider the main end of his study to wit to know God in Jesus Christ and answerable to lead a Godly, sober life."

Benjamin Silliman, a well-known American science educator and editor, was a Yale faculty member during the era of Yale President Timothy Dwight, 1795-1817. He wrote concerning the atmosphere that existed on the Yale campus, "It would delight your heart to see how the trophies of the cross are multiplied in this institution. Yale College is a little temple: prayer and praise seem to be the delight of the greater part of the students."

Back to the Titles Page
Back to the Home Page